Telecon 09.05.13 materials
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Revision as of 13:55, 5 September 2013 by Anne Wilson
DDS 9.5.13 updates
- Use of Grey's phrase "data intensive science"
- Paul's title "A Strategy of Research Priorities in Data-Intensive Science"
- spelled with a hyphen??
- Please review draft available at http://tinyurl.com/m7laety
Info regarding publication in EOS
- Anne has not heard back from Lee Allison (ESSI rep to editorial board)
- Time to go to plan B, pick editor directly?
- Could we, should we try to become a working group?
- Anyone heard about acceptance of AGU submissions?
Meeting highlights, outcome (from Anne's personal notes)
Attended: Anne, Carol, Cheryl, Subhash, Paul, Chris, Erin, Bob
Below, "(A)" denotes an action item.
- Discussion regarding "Data-Intensive Science": a good phrase to leverage, but don't want to leave impression that we are focusing on science issues done with data, as opposed to research priorities regarding the data themselves
- Workshop funding:
- haven't yet heard from Moore
- Paul created info sheet for Eva to share at NSF and NASA, we hope they'll get back to us in a few weeks
- We should move ahead with workshop even if not all funding comes through, in order to get survey started in 2014
- EOS draft needs reorg, cutting
- Chris to write outline for our review (A)
- Chris to make next draft available to cluster before next week (A)
- We'll invite July panelists to be authors
- We are targeting 'feature article' category with 2500 word limit
- Carol to ping Lee Allison next week regarding moving this quickly through publication process (A)
- Anne to look into requirements regarding references for a feature article (A)
- We need a killer use case. Chris shared a recent EOS article, "Computational Earth Science: Big Data Transformed Into Insight", August 6, 2013
- Anyone have a killer use case?
- Telecon participant in favor of requesting to be a working group
- Carol, Anne to write rationale to be presented to Excomm, which meets on Fri, Sept 20 (A)
- Anne to ask Curt, as Stewardship and Preservation Committe Chair, to make request to Excomm (A)
- Next telecon two weeks, on Sept 19, 3:00 ET
- Erin to create meeting venue for us (A)