Semantic Web Ontology Portal Evaluation Approach
This wiki page supports ESIP's evaluation of semantic repository solutions in particular providing insight into;
- what current and future ESIP Semantic Technologies Committee (STC) community requirements (CR) are,
- a comparative evaluation of different technology stacks/approaches; with the aim of assessing different solutions based upon how well they satisfy CR as defined within this document, and
- a business cost justification model that could be used to justify funding semantic web technology stacks.
All ESIP members (and anyone else with an account on this wiki) are encouraged to contribute towards this document.
Comparing Semantic Repository Implementations
In general in this document:
- 'ontology' refers to any semantic artifact, whether expressed in OWL/RDF, another OWL representation, or a simpler form like Excel or CSV that can be converted into a semantic artifact.
- URI is used to mean a unique web identifier, aka IRI; it usually but not always is a URL.
These are the functions offered by the repository.
How detailed are the search options in the UI? Are faceted searches available?
What options are available for displaying and viewing concepts, ontologies, and metadata?
Protocols describe how the repository makes its information, submissions, and entries available: what syntax, semantics, and specifications are supported in the data and commands that go into the system, and come out of it?
Ontology download formats
Ontology upload formats
URI format for concepts and artifacts
How many/which features are available to other applications via API calls? Are these calls REST-based?
How is the URI for each concept in the repository represented? How is the URI for each artifact represented? Are the offered URIs versioned, unversioned, or both?
Ease of content submission
Ease of content updates
Authentication and Security
What types of login features are supported?
Support for Teams and Roles
Can teams be defined of multiple members? Can multiple members of a team edit the same ontology?
Costs are given in labor hours and funds required to start and operate the service.
Justifying Semantic Web Repository Business Costs
(see the [SW OPortal Discussion:Talk|Discussion] page for ideas.)
 ODM2 evaluation of MMI ORR: https://github.com/ODM2/ODM2/blob/07e4e30fc4d6763b8bcae771ffbb7228fc5a3f65/doc/ODM2Docs/concept_controlledvocabs.md