References for the Sustainable Data Management cluster
Added 2016-5-5 (provided by Lindsay Powers)
EarthCube's Organizational Landscape
Added 2015-12-22 (provided by Kevin Browne)
- National Research Council. Enhancing the Value and Sustainability of Field Stations and Marine Laboratories in the 21st Century. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2014. doi:10.17226/18806
- Borgman, C. L. (2011). The Conundrum of Sharing Research Data (Author’s Preprint). Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asi.22634
Added 2015-12-18 amc
- ISEES Strategic Plan
(Provided by Matt Jones)
Jones, Matthew, Allison, Lee; Ames, Daniel; Caron, Bruce; Collins, Scott; Cruse, Patricia; Fox, Peter; Hampton, Stephanie; Mattmann, Chris; Meyer, Carol; Michener, William; Robinson, Erin; Schildhauer, Mark (2015): The Institute for Sustainable Earth and Environmental Software (ISEES): A Strategic Plan. figshare. http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1320917
- Link to Stan Ahalt's conceptual design process for a water sciences institute.
(Provided by Peter McCartney)
Added 2015-11-12 mob
- NSF Big Data Regional Innovation Hubs
Added 2015-11-10, mob
- DIgital preservation coalition
- Blue Ribbon Task Force on Sustainable Digital Preservation and Access was created in 2007 to address principles and actions to support long-term economic sustainability and long-term access of digital information. Resources and bibliography from this task force.
Added 2015-11-01 by amc
- Wilson, Anne, Downs, Robert R., Fox, Peter, Lenhardt, W.C., Michener, W., Ramapriyan, H., Robinson, E. (2014). Actualizing an Effective Sustainable Science Data Infrastructure. SciDataCon, New Dehli. ESIP Partners.
- Details collaboration structure of ESIP Data committees, working groups and clusters, specifically the Data Study Working Group (Anne Wilson)
Added 2015-10-29 by amc
- T. Rabl et al. (Eds.). (2014) Data management—a look back and a look ahead. Specifying Big Data Benchmarks. Lecture Notes of Computer Science, 8163, pp. 11–19.
- Hsu, L. et al. (2015). Data management, sharing, and reuse in experimental geomorphology: challenges, strategies, and scientific opportunities. Geomorphology, 244(1), 180-189
- Ronald L. S. Weaver, Walter N. Meier, Ruth E. Duerr. (2008).
- Maintaining Data Records: Practical Decisions Required For Data Set Prioritization, Preservation, and Access. IGARSS (3): 617-619
- Ruth E. Duerr, Mark A. Parsons, Melinda Marquis, Rudy Dichtl, Teresa Mullins. (2004). Challenges in Long-Term Data Stewardship. MSST: 101-117
- Older article, but gives a detailed, and easily digestible history of data centers in the U.S.
- “In the Earth science community it makes more sense to consider preservation and access formats independently. Access formats are likely to change quickly over time, while preservation formats should be more stable.” pp.110
- “Experience and a review of the known data management issues show that we achieve the greatest success in long term data stewardship only when there is a close collaboration between data providers, data users, and professional data stewards.” pp.117
- Diekema, A., Wesolek, A., Walters, C.D. (2014). The NSF/NIH Effect: Surveying the Effect of Data Management Requirements on Faculty, Sponsored Programs, and Institutional Repositories. The Journal of Academic Librarianship, 40, 322-331.
- Simons, N, Richardson, J. (2012). New Roles, New Responsibilities: Examining Training Needs of Repository Staff. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication 1(2):eP1051. http://dx.doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.1051
- Downs, R., Duerr, R., Hills, D., Ramapriyan, H.K. (2015) Data Stewardship in the Earth Sciences. D-Lib Magazine, 21 (7/8), 2-2.
- Documenting the efforts of the ESIP Data Stewardship Committee: how data stewardship is being done in government agencies, and guidelines for citation of Earth science data.
- Buys, C. M., & Shaw, P. L. (2015). Data management practices across an institution: survey and report. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication, 3(2), eP1225. http://dx.doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.1225
- Cited by Mark Parsons, at RDA Oct 2015, (Edwards et al):
- (text from https://sciencenode.org story on e-infrastructure)
- ...infrastructure systems are rarely built from the top down — people don’t follow this. He highlighted the importance of establishing social norms, and says that trust is key to reaching consensus when it comes to the social norms around data sharing. “Infrastructure is relationships, interactions, and connections between people, technologies, and institutions,” says Parsons, who maintains that talking about technical and social solutions for improving research data sharing is really a false dichotomy….
Added 2015-10-21 http://www.re3data.org/
- re3data is a registry of data repositories. they are connected to RDA.
- From their website: re3data.org strives offers reliable orientation in the heterogeneous landscape of research data repositories and provides a point of integration with other components of global cyberinfrastructure and “data fabric”.’
- I think we will be interested in the their schema for the description of research data repositories:
- The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication's Special Issue on sharing, publication and citation of research data is now available at
- While looking for things to cite, found this.
- I used the parent page for the ref, but we might want to use this. (at least I think it;s the parent…)
- California Digital Library Data Curation Center. 2014. Cost analysis spreadsheet.
- Keeping Research Data Safe: http://www.beagrie.com/krds.php
- Keeping Research Data Safe Fact Sheet http://www.beagrie.com/KRDS_Factsheet_0711.pdf
- Keeping Research Data Safe Final Report 2008 http://www.jisc.ac.uk/publications/publications/keepingresearchdatasafe.aspx
- Keeping Research Data Safe 2 Final Report 2010 http://www.jisc.ac.uk/publications/reports/2010/keepingresearchdatasafe2.aspx#downloads
- Kratz and Strasser 2015 making data count http://www.nature.com/articles/sdata201539 DOI: 10.1038/sdata.2015.39
- Downs et al 2015 http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july15/downs/07downs.print.html DOI: 10.1045/july2015-downs
Bibliography from DataOne:
(bumped into while looking for a doi for Tenopir et al.)
- S. Sheppard A, Wiggins A, Terveen L. Capturing Quality: Retaining Provenance for Curated Volunteer Monitoring Data. In: Proceedings from the 17th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing. Proceedings from the 17th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing. Baltimore, MD, USA: CSCW14: The 17th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing; In Press.
- Tenopir C, Allard S, Frame M. An Accessible Infrastructure. International Innovations. 2014;(148):95-97. Available at: http://digimag.internationalinnovation.com/launch.aspx?eid=ca4834e0-ba1b-44ed-b9e1-ec907e02d568&pnum=97&utm_campaign=210814+issue+148+-+referred+contacts+email+Carol+Tenopir&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content= .
- Levy O, Ball BA, Bond-Lamberty B, et al. Approaches to advance scientific understanding of macrosystems ecology. Frontiers in Ecology and the EnvironmentFrontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 2014;12(1):15 - 23. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/130019.
- Thoegersen JL. Data Management Quick Guides. Library Conference Presentations and Speeches. 2014. Available at: http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/library_talks/103.
- Davis M.L.E. Steiner, Tenopir C, Allard S, Frame M. Facilitating Access to Biodiversity Information: A Survey of Users? Needs and Practices. Environmental Management. 2014. Available at: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00267-014-0229-7.
- Peters DPC, Havstad KM, Cushing J, et al. Harnessing the power of big data: infusing the scientific method with machine learning to transform ecology. EcosphereEcosphere. 2014;5(6):art67. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/ES13-00359.1.
- Douglass K, Allard S, Tenopir C, Wu L, Frame M. Managing scientific data as public assets: Data sharing practices and policies among full-time government employees. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology. 2014;65:251?262. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/asi.22988.
- Tenopir C, Sandusky RJ, Allard S, Birch B. Research data management services in academic research libraries and perceptions of librarians. Library & Information Science Research. 2014: - . Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0740818814000255.
- Tenopir C, Sandusky RJ, Allard S, Birch B. Academic librarians and research data services: preparation and attitudes. IFLA Journal. 2013;39(1):70-78.
- Tuarob S, Pouchard LC, C Giles L. Automatic tag recommendation for metadata annotation using probabilistic topic modeling. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital Libraries. Proceedings of the 13th ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital Libraries.; 2013.
- Hampton SE, Strasser CA, Tewksbury JJ, et al. Big data and the future of ecology. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. 2013;11(3):156 - 162. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/120103.
- Hampton SE, Strasser CA, Tewksbury JJ. Growing Pains for Ecology in the Twenty-First Century. BioScience. 2013;63(2). Available at: http://escholarship.org/uc/item/8kn6d080/.
- Kolb TL, E. Blukacz-Richards A, Muir AM, et al. How to Manage Data to Enhance Their Potential for Synthesis, Preservation, Sharing, and Reuse?A Great Lakes Case Study. Fisheries. 2013;38(2):52 - 64.
- Bowen GJ, West JB, Zhao L, et al. Cyberinfrastructure for isotope analysis and modeling. Eos, Transactions American Geophysical Union. 2012;93(19). Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/2012EO190002.
- Tuarob S, Pouchard LC, Noy N, Horsburgh JS, Palanisamy G. ONEMercury: Towards Automatic Annotation of Environmental Science Metadata. Second International Workshop on Linked Science 2012 - Tackling Big Data. 2012;951. Available at: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-951/paper4.pdf.
- Michener WK, Allard S, Budden AE, et al. Participatory design of DataONE? Enabling cyberinfrastructure for the biological and environmental sciences. Ecological Informatics. 2012;11(Sep 2012). Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1574954111000768.
- Enke N, Thessen A, Bach K, et al. The user's view on biodiversity data sharing ? Investigating facts of acceptance and requirements to realize a sustainable use of research data ?. Ecological Informatics. 2012;11:25 - 33.
- Lindenmayer DB, Likens GE, Andersen A, et al. Value of long-term ecological studies. Austral Ecology. 2012.
- Tenopir C, Allard S, Douglass K, et al. Data Sharing by Scientists: Practices and Perceptions. PLoS ONE. 2011;6(6).
- Taylor BN, Thompson A. National Institute for Standards and Technology guide to SI units. 2008. Available at: http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP330/sp330.pdf.
- Gregory MJ, Ritts WD, TURNER DP. ORNL Distributed Active Archive Center Datasets BIGFOOT NPP SURFACES FOR NORTH AND SOUTH AMERICAN SITES, 2000-2004. 2006.
- Buneman P, Khanna S, Tan W. Why and Where: A Characterization of Data Provenance. In: Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2001.
- Jongman RHJ, ter Braak CJF, van Tongeren OFR. Data Analysis in Community and Landscape Ecology. Cambridge University Press; 1995.
This is the white paper sent by Ruth Duerr (confirm it was Ruth), sample agenda came from it.
- Ember, C. and Rl Hanisch. 2013. Sustaining Domain Repositories for Digital Data: A White Paper.