Interagency Data Stewardship/LifeCycle/Preservation Forum/TeleconNotes/2011-03-09

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Preservation and Stewardship

ESIP Preservation and Stewardship Cluster Monthly Telecon 2011-03-09

Present: Curt Tilmes, Regina Oglesby, Mark Parsons, Rob Raskin, Bruce Vollmer, Bruce Barkstrom, Hook Hua, Helen Conover, Bob Downs, Hampapuram Ramapriyan, Nancy Hoebelheinrich, Siri Jodha Khalsa, John Moses

  • Provenance and Context Content Standard – Rama/Curt
    • Curt has added Provenance & Content Standard onto the wiki discussion page (located at main wiki page, provenance and content standard, discussion). Allows people to see changes made on the wiki if they select “watch” so they can follow discussion strings and keeps comments organized.
    • Comments from Donna and Chuck merged into spreadsheet along with comments from Chris and Sirijosa. Still a lot of duplication of items that needs to be reduced. Tracking items from NASA and NOAA until these items are reasonably well merged.
      • Bruce – Reasonable start, need to be careful about documenting what formats things are in to track what users are doing within the particular digital artifact.
      • Rama – Concern is if we ask for too much without indicating priorities, it may be rejected
      • Helen or Nancy?? Look to other standards and borrow from them…add categories such as “required,” “recommended,” etc.
      • Curt – Spreadsheet pulls together different standards and organizes into one place. How can provenance and context standard be used at the summer meeting? Have a workshop session on Tuesday morning to discuss issues and come to a consensus on provenance and context use case, “Preservation Use Case Workshop.” Everyone should consider use case examples (Curt to set up a wiki discussion page)
      • Hook – Science reproducibility is key
      • ??? – Need to distinguish between tracking context (can someone use that data for something else in the distant future?) and provenance. Do not bundle them together, they need to be distinguished
      • Bob – Use case should include producers of the data so they can contribute to the provenance
  • ESIP Cluster Status - Rob
    • Promote to 'Committee'? Clusters are more ad hoc and do not require as much oversight. To make a difference in the community, may want to become a committee. Bylaws have to be changed and voted on by entire committee at the next ESIP meeting to become a committee. Committee’s also have more standing and can get funding from the preservation ($20k per annum). Scope can be expanded to include data quality and integrity, for example. There are no disadvantages to becoming a committee and membership is open for anyone to attend (whether they’re apart of the ESIP or not – up to the chair to include “outsiders,” no restrictions.
      • Thoughts?
        • Bob – Committees seems to gain momentum (as opposed to being a cluster)
        • Curt – Decide at business meeting at the summer meeting on whether to change to committee status.
    • Expand scope to include data quality?
      • Consensus at moment is not to expand scope of the cluster at this point
  • Future Meetings
    • ESIP Summer Meeting planning
      • Use case workshop on Tuesday and possibly Wednesday morning
      • Topics for breakouts to be considered by group and discussed later
    • Fall AGU
      • Session proposals due April 20 and group consensus is to have a session. Mark, Ruth & Rama to come up with an abstract straw-man to submit something. Mark will investigate to see if there will be a provenance session at the AGU
  • Activities Status
    • Identifiers – Nancy
      • Trying to get all identifiers schemes so they can be implemented into the testbed
    • Citations - Mark
      • Note added to wiki discussion page linking to website for Geodata 2011 conference
    • Preservation_Ontology - Hook
      • Lever semantic web technologies
      • Find what is like from a preservation ontology and define use cases
      • Explore if it’s possible to map to ISO
      • Possible cross-cluster breakout with semantic web cluster to develop a model at the summer meeting (group consensus agreed)


Agenda:

  1. ESIP Cluster Status - Rob
    1. Promote to 'Committee'?
    2. Expand scope to include data quality?
  2. Future Meetings
    1. ESIP Summer Meeting planning
    2. Fall AGU
  3. Activities Status
    1. Identifiers - Nancy
    2. Provenance and Context Content Standard - Rama
    3. Citations - Mark
    4. Preservation_Ontology - Hook
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox