From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Revision as of 09:47, 16 October 2008 by Clenhardt
- Chris Lenhardt
- Stefan Falke
Issues to Be Addressed:
- Interfacing with other organizations – national & international (AGU, EGY, GEO, CEOS, ISRSE, others?) – how do we support our efforts in this? ESIP ambassadors; distinctions between wearing multiple hats; collaborations
- Map relationships across organizations; what’s the landscape (concept map development tool)
- Training for and Engagement of Next Generation of Data Managers – academic discipline; stewardship
- Should we interface? Yes! The listed group represents a good start. But, these should not be the universe - where are the smaller, lesser known organizations (e.g. less formally structured groups like the EPA Data Summit; domain experts)
- How to handle overlap among different groups? Connections are important to make & are being loosely made. CEOS wanted to make connections to Sensor Web and GEO. CEOS formed an Atmospheric Science Interest Group to make connections among/between groups.
- GEOSS Air Quality Community of Practice - is the ESIP Federation limited as a domestic organization? or can we/should we play internationally?
- ESSI focus groups at AGU, EGU
- ESIP is uniquely positioned at intersection of science and technology
- Should Data Management be its own academic discipline?
- Integration of data management principles across academic disciplines is probably the way to go (e.g. like GIS)
- How should data managers think? how does this relate to collaboration? need to look at the reward mechanisms for creating data sets
- Should ESIP provide continuing education/professional development to data managers? (e.g. look at UCGIS 
- Will the types of outreach differ based on the type of organization, e.g. professional organization v. scientific/research v. applications/decision-support?
- Are the goals of external relations clear?
- Recruit new members?
- Promote scientific data stewardship?
- Facilitate data mash-ups, application development?
- Promote networking?
- Test waters with other organizations - international and domestic
- Need to Identify/Map Organizations Where ESIP Partners are Active - Social Networking Software/concept mapping tool
- Explore what the ESIP Federation might do to train/provide continuing education to data managers.