Data Service Ontologies
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Revision as of 17:41, 24 February 2009 by Raskin
Data-type and Service Ontology
- Part of the cluster activity involves developing a community-based set of ontologies for use in
- Earth Sciences. The first step is to address data-types and services (web services).
- The activity is based on use cases (see below) and revolves around practical workshop
- sessions held in conjunction with ESIP and NASA meetings. It involves a small groups of
- active ontology developers motivated by funded projects.
- See recent discussions at http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Breakout_Sessions-Day_1#Technical_Breakout_2b_-_Developing_an_Ontology_for_Services
Tools we use
When making CMAP modifications that you want others to see, make them using CMAP's Shared Cmaps capability:
- Within CMAP, select Shared CMAPs option when opening the file.
- Navigate to the shared CMAP directory for this work: "Shared Cmaps in Places -> IHMC Public Cmaps (3) -> Users -> ESIP-SemanticWeb
- Two folders (data-type and services)
- Consider annotating concepts (classes) with comments.
- Read the guide for ontology development which indicates how sub-classes are denoted ('are'), individuals/ instances ('is'), etc.
Background ontologies (domain)
- SWEET 2.0 beta http://sweet.jpl.nasa.gov/2.0
Accounts you will need
* cmap server, contact Rahul * ESIP wiki set up - use this site - please create pages under this heading
- Use cases, please use the format (template and example in the link above).
DSO Workshop @ESIP January 9, 2009
DSO Workshop @ESDSWG October 24, 2008
DSO Workshop @ESIP July 17, 2008
DSO Workshop May 15-16, 2008
White Paper/ Terms of Reference
These are old documents and are not complete but serve as history for this effort.