2019 InformationQuality Plan
ESIP Collaboration Area Strategic Plan 2019
- Co-Chair (s): H. K. (Rama) Ramapriyan, David Moroni, Ge Peng
- Website (wiki): Information Quality Cluster wiki
- Monthly Meeting Day/Time: 2nd Tuesday at 11:00 AM ET/8:00 AM PT
ESIP IQC Vision
To become internationally recognized as an authoritative and responsive resource of information and guidance to data providers on how best to implement data quality standards and best practices for their science data systems, datasets, and data/metadata dissemination services.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- Bring together people from various disciplines to assess aspects of quality of Earth science data
- Establish and publish baseline of standards and best practices for data quality for adoption by inter-agency and international data providers
- Build framework for consistent capture, harmonization, and presentation of data quality for the purposes of climate change studies, Earth science and applications
- 2015-2020 Strategic Plan Executive Summary
- Strategic Plan Roadmap
- See References and Resources sections of the IQC wiki
Collaboration Area Plan
Collaboration Area Objective:
- Actively evaluate community data quality best practices and standards
- Improve capture, description, discovery, and usability of information about data quality in Earth science data products.
- Ensure producers of data products are aware of standards and best practices for conveying data quality, and data providers/distributors/intermediaries establish, improve and evolve mechanisms to assist users in discovering and understanding data quality information.
- Consistently provide guidance to data managers and stewards on how best to implement data quality standards and best practices to ensure and improve maturity of their datasets.
Things we may do to fulfill our objectives:
- Coordinate use case studies with broad and diverse applications, collaborating with the ESIP Data Stewardship Committee and various national and international programs
- Identify additional needs for consistently capturing, describing, and conveying quality information
- Establish and provide community-wide guidance on roles and responsibilities of key players and stakeholders including users and management
- Prototype innovative ways of conveying quality information to users
- Evaluate NASA Earth Science Data System Working Groups (ESDSWG) Data Quality Working Group(DQWG) recommendations and propose possible implementations.
- Establish a baseline of standards and best practices for data quality, collaborating with other ESIP clusters (e.g., Documentation, Usability and EnviroSensing) and Earth Science agencies.
- Engage data providers, data managers, and data user communities as resources to improve our standards and best practices.
- Provide an active learning space for specific sub-groups to coalesce around key themes of data quality consisting of relevant subject matter experts devoted to identifying new challenges as well as providing more in-depth information on existing solutions to meet those challenges.
Things our collaboration area needs to deliver our objectives?
(e.g. Partnerships, in-kind support, staff support)
How will we know we are on the right track?
How will others know what we are doing in & out of ESIP?
Cross-collaboration area connections
(Identify other areas that you consider cross collaboration. Are there things that you need us to provide in support the cross collaboration?)