ESIP Sustainable Data Management Strategic Plan 2016 - DRAFT
- Co-Chair (s): Margaret O'Brien, ___
- Website (wiki): Sustainable Data Management Wiki Page
- Monthly Meeting Day/Time: Second Friday, 4pm Eastern
To be a leader in promoting the collection, stewardship and use of Earth science data, information and knowledge that are responsive to societal needs.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- Increase the use and value of Earth science data and information.
- Strengthen the ties between observations and user communities (e.g. technologies, research, education and applications).
- Promote techniques to articulate and measure the socioeconomic value and benefit of Earth science data, information, and applications.
- Position ESIP to play a major role in Earth science issues (e.g. addressing effects of climate change mitigation, adaptation and supporting sustainable science data infrastructure).
Collaboration Area Plan
Collaboration Area Objective:
The group formed in late 2015 to investigate pathways for sustainable increased collaboration and coordination in the area of environmental data management that will benefit both research networks and also individual investigators.
Things we may do to fulfill our objectives:
The group has three major activities:
- Develop a framework for describing Return on Investment (ROI) in data repositories
- Describe the landscape of data services offered by repositories, to identify gaps
- Define a Common Technical Vision to sustain data, rather than the repositories themselves.
Things our collaboration area needs to deliver our objectives?
Student fellow: to conduct lterature revews scan of groups dong smlar wor eg earth cube
staff: nowledged of fundng opportuntes (e.g. Partnerships, in-kind support, staff support)
How will we know we are on the right track?
- Curators and managers working within different repositories will collaborate on specific projects
- Action items from the 2015 workshop will have been completed: Action_Items_from_Collaborative_Strategies_for_Sustained_Environmental_Data_Management_workshop_(Tempe,_AZ_Nov_2015)
How will others know what we are doing in & out of ESIP?
We plan to examine related efforts within AGU and RDA to find out what others are doing. Exploration of similar or related work.
Cross-collaboration area connections
(Identify other areas that you consider cross collaboration. Are there things that you need us to provide in support the cross collaboration?)