2012 Proposed Bylaw Changes
Proposed ESIP Membership Structure Changes
ESIP is considering establishing multiple Membership Tiers:
- Sustaining (voting, supporting) member
- Full (voting) Organizational member
- Associate (non-voting member).
Associate members can fully participate in all Federation activities, with the exception of voting. Associate memberships automatically expire after five consecutive years, at which time the ESIP can reapply for membership. The criteria for achieving Full status is to pay for two Meeting attendances in the previous year (or pay the difference as membership dues). There might be more than one Sustaining level.
Another proposal is to change the definition of Type 4 and 5 ESIPs:
- Type 4 (Umbrella Organizations)- any umbrella organization, not just supporters
- Type 5 (Data Users) - this new Type would be limited to Associate (or possibly Sustaining) status. Individuals (including students) could join under this or other Type designation.
Each ESIP would have a Type and a Membership Tier. For example, NASA would be a Type 4 Sustaining member.