Telecon Agenda & Notes
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Science Software culture telecon meeting notes: 05.16.2015
- Annie Burgess
- Bob Downs
- Chris Lenhardt
- Erin Robinson
- Nic Weber
Ideas for what we might do in future months…
- Combine our efforts with Force 11 group on Software Citation principles link
- Pick up on any of the available topics from RENCI Workshop for data and software citation link
- Collaborating with documentation or data stewardship clusters on future work towards principles for sustainable software stewardship. [more below]
Principles for Sustainable Software Stewardship
- By principles we mean what activities / actions should be taken to ensure software remains accessible, and useful over the long-term.
- And in what ways these principles are unique to ESIP stakeholders.
- Should be like science software best practices… but not about engineering of software alone.
- The inspiration for this activity is the data stewardship principles that describe responsible curation of earth science data, without being prescriptive of how those curation activities are to be implemented / carried out
- Our hope is to have some sort of community-wide ESIP revision of these principles and a vote of some kind for their acceptance (?)
Principles for Data Stewardship
- Were voted on by ESIP general assembly
- Were approved as a “policy recommendation” by ESIP
- Received extensive input from technology cluster
- 2 to 3 pages, bulleted points that identify stakeholders and responsibilities.
Next steps for this effort:
- Chris will draft emails for potential speakers during our summer meeting.
- High level document for stewarding software outline. This might include following topics
- Documentation (should recognize the funder)
- Recommended citation
- Recommended license
- hosting (where lives)
- Second “related topics” document
- gather project that may be already working on some of these issues
- provide place for contributions.
- Next meeting: 06/19 or 06/26 ?