Telecon 10.28.13 materials
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Participants: Anne Wilson; Bob Downs; Carol Meyer
- Conversation about who to involve on the panel.
- Jen Schopf as an workshop invitee, to represent the networking infrastructure angle
- Issues to be underscored - data collection is a temporary activity; data become at risk after collection activities due to lack of explicit support for data stewardship; data generator *might* not have access to their data if its archiving has not been supported; publications fill some of this gap for research results, less on the data
- High Level Questions:
- how much metadata to preserve
- what metadata to preserve
Need to say why this is important - why we should care; answer the so what question
- reactive rather than proactive - needs to be forward looking
- need professional development/education to affect culture change
- need incentives = Funding
- Technology Drivers
- new technologies create research opportunities
- new technologies potentially change current stewardship paradigm
- Stewardship of Scientific Assets
- metadata issues
- what gets saved & how?
- what can be re-generated rather than saved?
- What are the examples of game changers; what are the driving forces?
- Carol to reach out to Andrew Turner, Esri for workshop participation
- Everyone to read Eos piece and help with messaging
- finalize plenary panel list via email
- articulate our questions - plus, 'what could the study do for your agency' (no slides, instead a conversation)
- draft invitation ** carol to draft invitation
- carol send email regarding structuring the breakout