ESIP Science Communication Collaboration Area Strategic Plan 2016
- Co-Chair (s): Denise Hills
- Website (wiki): Science_Communication
- Monthly Meeting Day/Time: Monthly meeting set: 2nd Wednesday, 4PM ET, 3PM CT, 2PM MT, 1PM PT
To be a leader in promoting the collection, stewardship and use of Earth science data, information and knowledge that are responsive to societal needs.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- Increase the use and value of Earth science data and information.
- Strengthen the ties between observations and user communities (e.g. technologies, research, education and applications).
- Promote techniques to articulate and measure the socioeconomic value and benefit of Earth science data, information, and applications.
- Position ESIP to play a major role in Earth science issues (e.g. addressing effects of climate change mitigation, adaptation and supporting sustainable science data infrastructure).
Science Communication Collaboration Area Plan
Science Communication Collaboration Area Objective:
The mission of the Science Communication (scicomm) cluster will be to help improve the understanding of science overall, as well as Earth science and data science in particular, both within and outside of ESIP. We bring together people from various disciplines to improve science communication by providing a forum for discussion and developing resources to better train scientists in the art of science communication. Specific goals and objectives will evolve with the interests and strengths of active cluster members.
Our objective for 2016 will be ...
Things we may do to fulfill our objectives:
- Monthly organizational telecons
- possibly host guest speakers/etc either during regular telecon or at other times
- Organize sessions for Summer and Winter meetings
- Coordinate with Visioneers in planning Summer and Winter meetings, including
- Suggestions for speakers
- Suggestions for or coordination of workshops
- Provide science communication training, e.g.,
- Provide information on available training outside of ESIP
- Arrange for webinars or similar for those interested in improving their communication
- Share info in Monday Updates
Things our collaboration area needs to deliver our objectives?
(Note: this is still tentative, and will hopefully be firmed up a bit after the next telecon.)
- Possible student fellow
- Funding to host science communication workshop (?)
(e.g. Partnerships, in-kind support, staff support)
How will we know we are on the right track?
How will others know what we are doing in & out of ESIP?
- Monday update
- Social media/twitter campaigns
Cross-collaboration area connections
(Identify other areas that you consider cross collaboration. Are there things that you need us to provide in support the cross collaboration?)
- Connection with collaboration areas who might be amenable to co-organizing a session (e.g., using a particular scicomm technique to share their work)