In the wake of Rob Raskin's untimely death, his family has approached the Foundation for Earth Science/ESIP Federation to explore the possibility of establishing a scholarship in memory of Rob and to preserve his community-minded legacy for generations to come. This page serves as a workplace for the small task team (Rob's colleagues, his family and ESIP leadership) to share ideas and to sharpen the focus of the scholarship idea.
Task Team Members
Family: Lisa Steele
JPL: Ed Armstrong, Chris Mattman, Victor Zlotnicki
Collaborators: Peter Fox, Phil Yang
ESIP Leadership: Karl Benedict, Annette Schloss
Staff: Carol Meyer, Erin Robinson
To provide scholarship support for students of the next generation of Earth science data/technology/informatics leaders...
- Tuition support
- Student stipend
- Travel support to ESIP Meeting
- Research support
- Internship within ESIP member organizations
- Travel support for AGU Meeting?
- GIS - particularly improved accessibility and usability of Earth Science data within GIS environments
- Computers in Geosciences
- Community Building
- Continue to Iterate on Scope/Focus (All)
- Legal Requirements (Meyer)
- Financial Requirements for Sustainability -- how much funds do we need to keep the fund going? - this will depend upon some of the options selected above.
- Suggestion to have a plenary session from the Raskin fellow at the ESIP meeting. Maybe give them 5-10-15 mins to talk about their interests and the students and reaching out to the community.