ExCom Minutes - Erin

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Jump to: navigation, search

Back to Executive Committee Main Page

ESIP Federation Executive Committee, November 16, 2010

Attendees: Jim Frew; Chris Lenhardt; Carol Meyer; Margaret Mooney; Rob Raskin; Erin Robinson; Marilyn Kaminski; Michael Goodman; Steve Berrick

The meeting was called to order by Chairman Jim Frew at 2:15 pm EST.

1. Adoption of Minutes A motion to adopt the revised minutes was offered by Michael Goodman and seconded by Marilyn Kaminski. Without further discussion, the minutes were approved by acclamation.

2. Executive Director Report

  • Erin Robinson joined our staff last week. The ExCom is asked to take a look at the website and offer their comments. Some of the changes that are being made: single sign-on between wiki and drupal, content placement and additional functions to support community activities/projects.
  • Seven partnership applications have been posted for comment and a vote will be held prior to the January meeting.
  • The ESIP Federation attended the GEO Plenary in Beijing. The exhibit hall traffic was disappointing, but good connections were made with American colleagues.
  • ESIP Federation elections are around the corner. A call for nominations will be issued soon, look for e-mail right before/after the Thanksgiving holiday.

Action items:

  • Michael Goodman and Carol will work to get the election process started.

3. Winter Meeting Planning Update

  • Breakout tracks beginning to be developed. Looking for confirmation from speakers. Registration is 15-20 people.
  • Martha Maiden Award - 3 nominations reviewed and consensus was reached. The subcommittee (VP, plus 3 Type reps) will affirm their decision inan upcoming telecon.

Action items:

  • e-mail list-serv about Winter Meeting registration
  • Check Martha Maiden awardee availability

4. Partnership Committee Update The Partnership Committee met to talk about changes to ESIP Federation governance. Type definition are useful for describing generally what members do (link to current and proposed definitions). Type 1 is clarifying language (amended: Earth Science and related datasets) to include data clearinghouses, networks. Type 3 is being broadened to include wider range of users being supported. Chris Lenhardt made a motion to report out the revised definitions to the Assembly (as amended). Rob Raskin seconded the motion. Without further discussion, the vote was passed by acclamation.

Action Items:

  • Need to notify Assembly and publish Business Meeting agenda by 12/6

5. Other Business Simpson amendment - Federation cannot compel its members to do anything without unanimous consent of the Assembly and direct consent of the individual partner. Unanimous consent is not 117 yes's, rather, it is asking if there are any objections to whatever item is before the Assembly. Ask C&B's for interpretation or modification? Frew suggested deleting Bylaw 2.2.7, because unanimous consent has solved bigger issues than it has helped. Will require 2/3 majority to pass.

Action Items:

  • publish business meeting agenda month before and post this issue on the agenda (by Dec. 6)
  • Frew, Michael and Rob are going to meet with C&B to draft a white paper and FAQ detailing the rational for repeal of Bylaw 2.2.7.

The meeting adjourned at 2:55 pm.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox