EnviroSensing Work Plan 2016
ESIP Collaboration Area Strategic Plan 2016
- Co-Chair (s): Don Henshaw and Janet Fredericks
- Website (wiki): EnviroSensing
- Monthly Meeting Day/Time: 1st Monday of each month at 2:30 pm ET
To be a leader in promoting the collection, stewardship and use of Earth science data, information and knowledge that are responsive to societal needs.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- Increase the use and value of Earth science data and information.
- Strengthen the ties between observations and user communities (e.g. technologies, research, education and applications).
- Promote techniques to articulate and measure the socioeconomic value and benefit of Earth science data, information, and applications.
- Position ESIP to play a major role in Earth science issues (e.g. addressing effects of climate change mitigation, adaptation and supporting sustainable science data infrastructure).
Collaboration Area Plan
Collaboration Area Objective:
The ESIP EnviroSensing Collaboration Area was organized around the need to create resource guides to assist environmental research efforts in developing deployment strategies for real-time sensor networks. Sensor networks are commonly deployed at environmental research locations and require management of subsequent large volumes of near real-time data. A working group of practitioners experienced in the entire life cycle of streaming sensor data (sensor network establishment, data transmission, data storage, quality control and assurance, and data access) has developed a best practices guide for managing sensor networks and data. The ESIP EnviroSensing Cluster welcomes community additions and updates to the best practices guide and actively involves the broader community in ongoing forums.
Things we may do to fulfill our objectives:
- Promotion of the Best Practices for Sensor Networks and Data wiki documents
- Monthly EnviroSensing Cluster meetings
- Session and poster at the the ESIP Summer Meeting
Things our collaboration area needs to deliver our objectives?
(e.g. Partnerships, in-kind support, staff support)
- The student fellow has been essential in maintaining our monthly meetings and wiki page
- Currently: Alison Adams
- Formerly (2015): Fox Peterson
How will we know we are on the right track?
- Feedback from Collaboration Area members
- Participation in monthly meetings
How will others know what we are doing in & out of ESIP?
- Continued presence at the ESIP Summer Meeting
- Presentations to outside organizations regarding the Sensor network Best Practices and the EnviroSensing wiki page
- Examples: LTER Information Managers Meeting 2015; annual CERF meeting, Portland, OR, November 2015; International LTER Meeting, South Africa, October, 2016
Cross-collaboration area connections
- Sustainable Data Management is an important connection for EnviroSensing
- Cross-reporting of this Area's activities will be planned at monthly meetings
- Data Quality is another connection to explore