From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Attendees: Shelley Olds, Pat Reiff, Johanna Bozuwa, Bruce Caron, Margaret Mooney, Carla, Kalo Haslem
Out 2 Lunch
- ESRI has been solidified
- Citizen Science Bat Monitoring - December potentially
- If anyone has additional ideas, please contact Margaret
- Action: Carla to connect with Margaret if there is one that might work
- Action: Shelley to talk with National Drought Monitor HQ to see if they could give a talk (in light of recent disasters)
- Came out of the summer workshop, near and dear to ESIP’s heart
- Next summer’s conference: part of the workshop would be for teaching coding skills
- One of the teachers won a FUNding Friday this summer around coding.
- Next step: have a 90 minute education session at the winter meeting. Have a couple at the winter meeting to start the process to get ready for the summer.
- Coding can look like a lot of different things. Could do formulas and macros to developing a whole application. There are some chapters that might work well from EET.
- LuAnn may have some info on this since she helped write them.
- Carla has taught all the chapters and would be a good resource. Sadly, EER overlaps with the summer meeting (16-20)
- Pat - some spreadsheet
- This is important, since very few students have the background in programs like excel
- Kalo - OZO bots - computer programming robots. Solid black lines and dashed lines (a bit like morse code). Can work on an iPad screen. Students have been very interested. Another: plastic mouse. Meant for younger students (lower elementary). Teaches that coding is a series of steps leading into each other.
- Shelley - visual & dataset.
- Pocketlab -real time data and graphics. Someone had one with them at the Summer Meeting and was able to develop a lesson around it.
- Action Item: Take a look at EET and other initiatives to see if there is a way for us to incorporate them. Explore what we want to be the learning outcomes. Report back next month.
- We will hear by the end of the month on our proposed budget. Includes:
- Learning to code (will include some professional development for some of the Education Committee & materials)
- Workshops: Summer meeting, EER, Margaret at NSTA,
- Development of a listing of education resources (we don’t need budget ourselves because will most likely be wrapped up into another part of the ESIP budget
- Sidenote: EER & ESIP overlap - Thursday Friday are the important dates for EER. It is in the budget to provide a workshop at EER.
Call for Winter Meeting (Jan 9-11, 2018)
- Action: Shelley to write up a quick draft to send around for input
- Margaret can’t come this year, sadly. Overlap w/ AMS
Future Monthly Meetings
- Wednesday or Thursday @ 3PM, would that work?
- Thursday @ 3PM
- Action: Shelley & Johanna to send out a doodle for changing the official time of the Education Committee meeting
- Collaborative video editing that ESIP has access to. Could be fun and helpful. WeVideo: https://www.wevideo.com/invite/?promo=2Q2GU3NVH2BV&join=-1425075159
- Action: Margaret to send Out2Lunch descriptions to Carla so they can be highlighted
- Coding in the classroom. Note that there was a great keynote FOSS4G talk by Joe Cheng (of rShiny fame) called “Coding as a First Resort” https://player.vimeo.com/video/231984830