Monthly Meeting: April 11, 2017 Attendees: Johanna Bozuwa, Margaret Mooney, Shelley Olds, Pat Reiff, Bob Downs, Casey Calamaio, LuAnn Dahlman, Erin, Bruce Caron
ESIP education workshop
- Have an eclipse talk: connect it to the bigger ESIP workshop. Pat would like some time to go outdoors
- Bob and Pat are flexible in time
- The Education to stay on Thursday so Pat could also go Thursday for the plenary. Pat’s piece could work well in the “unconference” space because of the outdoors component
- start and end time conference thursday: 9AM-5:30PM
- could extend to 5:30 if we wanted to or could have a day and a half for the education workshop
- migrated funding from NSTA to the earth educator rendezvous workshop. Own drone funding. Then ESIP has its own drone funding. Lots of educators get drones!
- Balloon flights are being planned for during the eclipse. But would be cool for the teachers to have drone movie clips (40-50 ft up).
- want to ensure that it will be relatively easy for teachers to stay for Funding Friday because that opportunity is quite significant
- Drone cluster: holding a workshop or demonstration at the meeting
- Action Item: When sending out the promo to the educators for the drones workshop— mention the drone cluster and Funding Friday opportunities
- Luann & Shelley talking with Randy Russell about the ebook. Having a meeting with him tomorrow
- Potentially connect with UCAR and post it on their server. Win win situation.
- Link from UCAR to ESIP wiki, and vice versa. At a minimum a ESIP blogpost to show where we put products. Huge contribution, so don’t want to lose this.
- Need to ensure that this is a trustworthy source for educators. the Wiki might not be the best place in that case. Larger discussion.
- Opportunities of figshare - could create a sub portal within the system. Will be getting more information on this in the coming month or so
- What about copyright? Advocating for a creative commons - free use with attribution so that educators can use and modify as they need. will be a 90 minute session. Should coordinate so that they don’t overlap. Maybe tie them together or connect interested parties? Jane, Lindsay, and Casey are the contact persons to coordinate.
- currently 3 people signed up, but registration deadline is not until beginning of May http://serc.carleton.edu/earth_rendezvous/2017/program/morning_workshops/w4/index.html
- 150 dollars a day to attend the conference, some work being done on providing scholarships
- Erin connecting Carla with the University of New Mexico to see if they could do some sponsoring
- currently pretty expensive and need at least 20 people to make the workshop viable. so we need to increase numbers
- add eclipse activity?
- offering the first 15 teachers who work directly with students in k-12 or after school programs drones for free
Here is the video recording: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B-POEFICBaeWeFk5UnZINHNTODQ