ESIP Education Summer Workshop
From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Participants: Preston Lewis, LuAnn Dahlman, Dan Zalles, Shelley Olds, Johanna Bozuwa
- Preston and Shelley used the barometers. Didn’t lift as much as the previous one, but much more stable, much easier to move around.
- LuAnn will bring her drone, which can carry up to 150 grams. More powerful, but harder to fly.
- She also has a helicopter that you can fly. Very low payload but could be interesting to bring.
- She ordered 2 weather balloons. Hasn’t used them but can bring them along.
- Could also get a 3-4 helium balloons from the grocery store. If can’t use a drone and want something low-tech, could use this.
- Action Item: Bring any toys you can to the workshop so we can play around with them.
- All drones will be the same. Preston and Shelley decided that they will use the drone Preston tried out. Lower load capability, but the ability to hover is much increased.
- We will need flexibility on the day of the workshop.
- How to bring a drone in a suitcase? Are there any security issues?
- Must hand-carry the batteries. Highly suggest that batteries go in separate ziplock bags, so there is no chance they’ll get shorted.
- If you put tape so that the wires are just attached to the battery itself, they’re less likely to be yanked out of the battery itself. (General tip)
- Other option: ship it. Can’t use USPS because of the batteries. FedEx and UPS will.
- Action Item: Safety glasses would be a good thing. Order 1 set of 12
- Margaret to email the participants, as well. Asking them to bring glasses.
- Release forms necessary – for both harm and photos.
- Action Item: Preston to send note to Erin Robinson asking about release forms.
- Preston always open to jump in at the last minute
- Computer presentations – Margaret says that ESIP has laptops in each room. Already hooked up to GoToMeeting. We will use this.
- Could also use Google Presenter and sign into the Google Drive
- Margaret all set for the 6 talks that straddle the break.
- Drone Aerodynamics 2: may want to have a brief introduction where we encourage people to move and stay with one group. It may be “controlled chaos” so just be ready.
- Shelley or Dan to talk about Sensors after lunch.
- Schedule looks solid as of right now. Just need an afternoon break.
- We will have Monday afternoon/evening to get all things together.
- Action Item: Preston to print Shelley’s bicycle depiction in the large scale. Shelley to send his way after scaling up. Have 1 large on and 20 small ones.
Funding & Drone Cluster
- Funding Friday – find a way
- Shelley may be involved in the Drone Cluster
- Need to see the RFP – Deadline is July 21st
- Usually around $15k
- ESIP Education to write a letter of support? - Margaret
- Consider how we would support it. Provide testbed of educators
- Action Item: Margaret as the main POC between the drone and education committees.