Discovery Telecon 2013-02-12

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Jump to: navigation, search

<< Back to the Discovery Telecons page

  • Tuesday, December 11. 4:00pm ET / 1:00pm PT

Contents

Attendees

  • Chris Lynnes
  • Aleksandar Jelenak
  • Christine White
  • Hook Hua
  • Nga Chung
  • Ruth Duerr
  • Yonsook Enloe
  • Call-in User_5
  • James Gallagher
  • Brian Wilson
  • Erin Robinson
  • Kathleen Baynes

Previous Action Items

  • Everyone: think of different slices that would be useful subgroups to focus on for grand challenges.
  • Hook: send out email at end of week to solicit contributions to implementation lists

Action Items

  • Christine White - Send out a list of options for maintaining the GeoPortal server on AWS. What level of effort will be needed from the Discovery Cluster?

Agenda

  1. Status of RFC
  2. Proposal for returning collection level data access points
  3. Quoted search terms
  4. Other topics

Notes

RFC Status

  • Chris merged input from Andy Bingham and Ruth Duerr on DataCasting
  • Want to focus on Atom based technologies in this RFC
  • Steve Richard input - need XML examples
  • We need a table that lists all the key elements of the standard (for this RFC, was added as a summary table in Appendix)
  • Seeking someone to look over / complete the columns of the table / contribute examples
  • Add a collection casting ("access" link type) from NSIDC example
  • Granule level query to some enclosure or OPeNDAP item
  • Some NSIDC links point to ordering page, text file, FTP directory, OPeNDAP server, etc.
  • OPeNDAP dataset level get a directory HTML page or a THREDDS XML file

Collection Level Data Access Points

  • Specify a MIME type that would be indicative of OPeNDAP directory
  • Email thread of "x-" vs. "vnd." MIME types
  • Needs more discussion / definition
  • Put together a DCP to put together an OPeNDAP, order pages, and FTP directories, etc.
  • Is this something that's not worth working out at this point?
  • NSIDC has so few datasets that are OPeNDAP that it would not be high priority
  • No current plans to implement OPeNDAP extension for most interested parties. Exclusion is PODAAC.
  • We don't have the resources for the non-OPeNDAP things at this time.
  • James is interested in working on it in the future, defer for one month.
  • Chris may proof of concept for OPeNDAP stuff at GSFC

Phrase Search Terms

  • Interest in writing OPeNDAP clients
  • Running into the heterogeneity amongst OPeNDAP servers
  • No standard for how to process more than one word in the search
  • There is no standardization or support for phrase searches
  • Very common thing for major search engines
  • Could put together a short DCP for quote enclosure
  • Would this be too much of a burden for server (Solr and Google supports)
  • This may be an implementation specific construct…
  • Error codes and the use of boolean ("AND"/"OR")
  • Is this quoted phrase behavior a "must" type of behavior or "should"?

Other Topics

  • Christine - What to do with GeoPortal implementation (on AWS), incurring monthly fee, no one is actually playing with OpenSearch capabilities. Keep in on Amazon? Move it to Github? Etc…
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox