Discovery Telecon 2012-07-10

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Jump to: navigation, search

<< Back to the Discovery Telecons page

Contents

Attendees

  • Erin Robinson
  • Chris Lynnes
  • Christine White
  • Eric Rozell
  • James Gallagher
  • Hook Hua
  • Nga Chung
  • Ken Keiser
  • Ruth Duerr

Action Items

  • Eric, Hook, Nga, Chris, Christine, Ruth - prep slides for Hack-a-thon session
  • Chris - prep OpenSearch Intro for hack-a-thon session
  • Ruth - prep Casting Intro for hack-a-thon session
  • Chris - market the Hack-a-thon

Past Action Items

  • Chris Lynnes - Start a page of URLs and resources for the hack-a-thon
  • Chris Lynnes - Set up coordination page for mentors
  • Chris Lynnes - Work with Hook to get list of packages needed for the testbed VM
  • Chris Lynnes - Send out "marketing" message to esip-all
  • Hook Hua - What are you going to mentor?
  • Eric Rozell - Set up the VM on the ESIP shared account for people to use during the hack-a-thon
  • Anyone - Pick a technology/language to mentor (or backup mentor) at the hack-a-thon!
  • Everyone - Review DCP-7 so you're informed when it goes up for vote!

Agenda

Notes

Plan/Logistics for Discovery Hack-a-thon (Hook)

  • How to run the timing?
    • Allot time to specific technology, or give broad overview and let everyone "go at it"?
    • What to do for those who will be bored with the coding part? Point is to show low-barriers of entry...
    • Casting, publishing, aggregation should be in non-coders
    • Have mentors for individual groups, and quickly go through coding part
    • Since there are two sessions, have coding and non-coding sessions
    • What if someone is interested in more than one? People are stuck in one language for the whole ninety minutes...
    • Non-coders will need more help getting going, demos will be more appropriate
    • Final Decision: non-coders first (may continue into second session), then coder second session, split into quadrants...
  • Do we need a VM? (Probably not)
    • Not for any of the non-coder stuff... probably not for Perl, Python, or Java
    • Only the XSL transform has a dependency, and that's only on a JAR...
  • Chris, Hook, Ruth coordinate presentation order and introduction...
  • We will need to give intros for OpenSearch and *casting
  • If the tutorials seem brutally obvious, that's okay, people just need a push to start using
  • How to market?
    • Facebook, our own mailing lists, Google+ group, Twitter #esipfed

Plan/Logistics/Agenda for Metadata Casting session for data, services and events (Brian)

  • Brian was not in meeting
  • Ruth will be presenting

Plan/Logistics for Open Source Software Evaluation (Yuanjie)

  • Yuanjie was not in meeting
  • Christine will be one of four presenters
  • Usability tests, data catalog, NDC experiences, etc...
  • Someone should capture relevant pieces to Discovery cluster

Agenda for Planning Meeting (Chris)

  • DCP-4 and -6 are adopted
  • DCP-5 is back for rework
  • DCP-7 is Hook's
  • DCP pages should be updated (the summary pages should reflect ratification)
  • Need to focus on DCP-5 and DCP-7
  • Hopefully, the sessions won't get too detailed into the DCPs
  • The planning session should really focus on the overall next steps and ESDSWG standards submission
  • Important thing is to coordinate resources and people for next steps
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox