Welcome to the Disasters Cluster
The overarching objective of the ESIP Disaster Lifecyle Cluster is to facilitate connections and coordinate efforts among data providers, managers and developers of disaster response systems and tools, and end-user communities within ESIP.
This Cluster's strategic plan is currently in work. We welcome all feedback and comments.
Examples of topics that the cluster can address include:
- Identify disaster response full-cycle
- Map dataset types to disaster types by leveraging existing efforts
- Assess and prioritize use cases and user needs
- Assess existing capabilities and processes
- Assess common architecture patterns to disaster response
- Develop webinars or other outreach plans to raise awareness with end-users
- Next Meeting is May 3, 2018 at 4pm Eastern, 1 Pacific Time (see below for call-in details)
- Meetings Between October 2017 and April 2018 are coming soon!
- 2018-04-05: DisasterLifecycle Telecon #45 ESIP Disasters Cluster ORLs and Planning for Summer ESIP
- 2018-03-01: DisasterLifecycle Telecon #44 All Hazards Consortium (AHC)
- 2018-02-01: DisasterLifecycle Telecon #43 Operational Readiness Levels (ORL)
- 2017-12-07: Disaster Lifecycle telecon #41 Planning Agenda for ESIP Winter Meeting Breakout Session
- 2017-09-07: DisasterLifecycle telecon #38 ESIP Disasters cluster candidate data for AHC GeoCollaborate Dashboard responding to 2017 Hurricane season
- 2017-08-31: DisasterLifecycle telecon #37 Final plans for ESIP poster, presentation to DRR in the Americas Summit in Sep 2017
- 2017 ESIP Summer Meeting: Disaster Cluster Sessions
- 2017-07-06: DisasterLifecycle telecon #36 ESIP Summer Meeting 2017 Disasters Lifecycle Session Plans
- 2017-06-01: DisasterLifecycle telecon #35 ESIP response to request for participation in DRR in the Americas Summit in Sep 2017
- 2017-05-04: DisasterLifecycle telecon #34 April 2017 Data-Driven Decision Making Workshop feedback
- 2017-03-02: DisasterLifecycle telecon #32 Introducing Peter Webley and discussion of Sean and Peter's recent wildfire workshop. General discussion and direction.
- 2017-02-09: DisasterLifecycle telecon #31 Plans for 2017 including 3DM workshops collaborations with AHC and trusted data.
- 2017 ESIP Winter Meeting: Disaster Cluster Sessions
- 2016-12-01: DisasterResponse telecon #30 Refining winter Meeting sessions, possible updates from Dave Jones and Maggi Glasscoe.
- 2016-11-03: DisasterResponse telecon #29 Winter Meeting sessions submitted, planned for the Winter meeting, continued discussion of D3M.
- 2016-10-06: DisasterResponse telecon #28 Updates, discussion of the D3M meeting, prep for ESIP Winter Meeting.
- 2016-08-11: DisasterResponse telecon #26 Organizing following the summer meeting. Planning for Data Driven Decision Making.
- 2016 ESIP Summer Meeting: Disaster Cluster Sessions
- 2016-07-07: DisasterResponse telecon #25 Presentations, planning for summer meeting.
- 2016-06-02: DisasterResponse telecon #24 Disaster cluster workshop, prep for summer meeting.
- 2016-05-12: DisasterResponse telecon #23 E-DECIDER update, Geo-collaborate testbed developments, planning for summer meeting.
- 2016-03-03: DisasterResponse telecon #21 Strategic plan cont'd, Dave Jones Presentation
- 2016-02-04: DisasterResponse telecon #20 Strategic plan, planning for summer meeting, future direction
- 2015-12-03: DisasterResponse telecon #19 AGU, Testbed, Proposal, Winter meeting, and co-chair
- 2015-11-05: DisasterResponse telecon #18 Testbed Demo and Proposal, Winter meeting
- 2015-10-01: DisasterResponse telecon #17 Testbed, AGU, Winter meeting
- 2015-09-03: DisasterResponse telecon #16 Testbed, AGU
- 2015-08-06: DisasterResponse telecon #15 Summer Meeting Recap, Testbed
- 2015-07-14: Disaster Breakout Part I at ESIP Summer Meeting
- 2015-07-14: Disaster Breakout Part II at ESIP Summer Meeting
- 2015-06-04: DisasterResponse telecon #14 Summer meeting session, poster and testbed ideas
- 2015-04-14: DisasterResponse telecon #13 Disasters Testbed report, Summer meeting and AGU session proposals
- 2015-03-17: DisasterResponse telecon #12 Testbed, EarthCube collaboration, OSTP initiative,summer
- 2015-02-27: DisasterResponse telecon #11 Testbed, Products, Summer meeting
- 2015-01-20: DisasterResponse telecon #10 Testbed next step, Disaster Lifecycle Cluster Plan
- 2014-12-05: DisasterResponse telecon #9 Planning for 2 sessions at the Winter Meeting
- 2014-11-12: DisasterResponse telecon #8 C-COP concept and products, Curated Data Albums and contents
- 2014-10-06: DisasterResponse telecon #7 Disaster Lifecycle Cluster Testbed Proposal
- 2014-09-03: DisasterResponse telecon #6 Disaster Lifecycle Cluster Plan
- 2014-06-17: DisasterResponse telecon #5 Preparation for Disasters Cluster summer session
- 2014-05-20: DisasterResponse telecon #4 Suggested topic for Disasters Cluster summer session
- 2014-04-17: DisasterResponse telecon #3 Special ESIP Disasters Cluster / CEOS WGISS Disasters Joint Session
- 2014-03-18: DisasterResponse telecon #2
- 2014-02-18: DisasterResponse telecon #1
- 2014-01-09: Disaster Breakout Part I at ESIP Winter Meeting
- 2014-01-09: Disaster Breakout Part II at ESIP Winter Meeting
GeoCollaborate Testbed: GeoCollaborate is StormCenter Communications and ESIP Disaster Cluster's testbed project to build a platform-independent geospatial data-sharing portal/visualization engine for disaster response and recovery.
Cascadia Rising: Cascadia Rising is a scenario-based multi-state functional exercise for improving Earthquake response and data sharing/distribution. Add items here for the Disaster Cluster's involvement or possible involvement.
- IRDR Peril Classification and Hazard Glossary March 2014:
- GEOSS Architecture for the Use of Remote Sensing Products in Disaster Management and Risk Assessment 
- Introduction to the GEOSS Common Infrastructure (Session 1) 21-05-14 (301MB)
- NOAA NCDC Development Guidelines for the Climate Data Record (CDR) program:
- NetCDF Metadata guidelines:
- Global Change Master Directory (GCMD):
- Email List: ESIP-Disasters
- First Thursday of each month (1pm Pacific Time)
- To join the telecon from your computer, tablet or smartphone, click:
- Cluster Contacts: Karen Moe, Dave Jones
What links here: Disasters