Data Stewardship Short Course Team Telecon

From Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
Jump to: navigation, search

Data Management Training home

Contents

Call-In Info

Next telecon, May 30, 3013 at 2 Eastern/1 Central/ 12 Mountain/11 Pacific

To join the audio portion of the Conference meeting


Call-in toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-877-669-4493 Attendee access code: 231 383 72#


To start or join the online portion of the meeting


https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed&service=1

  1. Click join next to the meeting name, DDS Cluster. (Note: If the meeting has not yet started, join will not be visible, and it will say 'Display Info'. Wait a minute and refresh screen)
  2. Enter your name and email address
  3. If you are asked for a password, enter the access code: 231 383 72 with no spaces or #. (e.g., 23138372).

May 30, 2013

Agenda

Notes: http://goo.gl/Lihgf

  • Status of application to ICPSR / Sloan

ICPSR - Sloan Foundation Grant Proposal

  • Pursuit of new funding sources?
    • Agency funding?
    • Any foundation funding?
    • Opportunities for collaboration with DataONE, IEDA, Others?
  • What can we do in meantime?
    • Inventory / registry of DM courses -- what would it look like?
    • Organization on ESIP Commons & relation to inventory
    • Find out who is using & for what?
    • Market / promote
    • Conduct our own assessment of value using CLEAN criteria
  • Summer meeting plans
  • Next call

August 29, 2012

Agenda

  • Publication process
    • Authors drafts module and submits for review
    • Module is reviewed and decision/comments back to author for revisions
    • Author revises module and submits update
    • Author presents revised module via webex
    • Script is generated from the webex
    • Script is added to module notes & ppt is published
    • Voiceover is created from script and video is published
  • Updates to author and reviewer guidelines
  • Status update
  • Schedule to close out this phase of the project
  • Copyright/DOI process/Recommended Citation
  • Organization on the ESIP Commons

April 12, 2012

Agenda

March 29, 2012

Attending

Matt, Bob Downs, Bob Cook, Nancy, Carol, Erin, Ruth

Summary

During the telecon we agreed to cleanly separate the presentation review and publication process from the voice over creation and publication process. We agreed that it would be better to have professionals do the voice overs (Bob Cook will look into costs for that process). Considerable time was spent discussing how to generate the needed voice over scripts. We decided that a flexible approach was needed as various authors would likely have different concerns/capacity in this regard. We decided to pursue having authors present their material as part of a webex conference that a script writer could transcribe to get a first draft of a script for those who don't want to write a script.

March 15, 2012

Agenda

  • EarthCube Expression of Interest (status)
  • Module status update
  • Review reviewer instructions
  • Review voiceover instructions
  • Begin planning for module release and voiceovers


March 1, 2012

Agenda

  • EarthCube Expression of Interest?
  • Pre-workshop participant questionaire (draft)
  • Module next steps

February 2, 2012

Agenda

  • Action items - all items were closed!
  • AMS workshop debrief
    • While 99 people had signed up for the workshop, the actual number of attendees showing up was small which was disappointing. The factor the workshop was held at 8:30 am on Sunday morning in New Orleans was a likely contributor to this. Those who did show up were interested and engaged, with good questions; so it wasn't a total loss.
    • Carole is working with the AMS committee about being able to hold the workshop during the regular meeting week if we do this again
    • AMS next year is not likely simply because the meeting overlaps with the ESIP winter meeting next year
  • Plan for the rest of the project
    • Existing program ends at the end of June
    • Need authors to complete drafts by end of February
    • Editorial review period is March - May
    • Need to complete voice over process in May - June

December 15, 2011

Agenda

  • Action items
  • AGU workshop debrief
    • What worked well and what should be improved
    • Questionnaire results summary

November 10, 2011

Attending

Bob Cook, Bob Downs, Erin, Carol, Ruth, Curt, Tyler, Jeff

Agenda

  • APECS workshops and seminars status
  • AGU workshop planning
    • Agenda and Presenters
  • Module status update
    • File naming convention
    • Terminology (e.g., data set, granule, International Data Network)
    • Use of imagery and humor
  • Schedules and planning

Summary

Despite the oddity of speaking to an invisible and inaudible audience, the APECS webinar Ruth gave on Tuesday apparently went well - at least she has been invited to give more talks and did hear after the event that folks found it useful and entertaining.

Most of the telecon was spent agreeing on who would present what materials at the workshop. Ruth was pleasantly surprised that so many people stepped up to present. Bob Cook suggested that we allow roughly a half hour for folks to ask their data-related questions (and bring samples along to look at). The group agreed that was a reasonable idea. Carol noted the problems we've been having with the AGU folks not posting our workshop on their website this year. We agreed that coming up with alternate paths to promoting the workshop were going to be important. Ruth agreed to start up an agenda page on the wiki for the workshop.

We spent some time at the end of the meeting discussing the need for a module file naming convention (now in the author's guidelines) and for authors to remember that the audience is scientists who are not data management savvy. Appropriate use of imagery and humor is called for! Also, there is a tendency to use jargon (such as granule) on our slides, jargon which many scientists will not understand.

That led to a discussion of the need for a glossary or dictionary. Carol has purchased a copy of the American Archives and Records Association (ARMA) glossary. The group agreed to review it to see if it fit the bill, if so we will need to discuss how to make those definitions more available.

Lastly, given that our next schedule telecon is on Thanksgiving, we agreed to meet the week after Thanksgiving instead.

October 27, 2011

Agenda

  • Review action items
  • Module status update and questions from authors [all]
    • Terminology (e.g., data set, granule, International Data Network)
    • File naming convention (new)
  • Module review processes - who, how, and when; what criteria to use
  • AOB

Attending

Erin, Curt, Ruth, Al, Bob Downs

Summary

The general consensus of the authors present was that the template is working OK, though there are sometimes concerns about duplication of material or having too much material for a given module. Ruth reminded everyone that in those cases it was OK, to modify the outline to either remove redundant modules or add additional more detailed modules as needed. Ruth also reminded everyone that the modules in the "for scientists" section should really be written for the science community and not data managers. Once we've completed the "for scientists" section we will move on to the "for data managers" section.

During a discussion of potential gaps in the material being generated, Al noted that it might be good to add something like a "What is your data?" section to the Local Data Management section, just to remind people that many items they don't normally think about really do count as part of their data (e.g., calibration files, blueprints, code, etc.). We also discussed adding a "How to evaluate a data management plan" section to the list. This veered off into a discussion more aimed at data managers on modules like "how to audit data management activities."

We concluded by discussing plans to have each module reviewed by at least 2 other authors and agreed that the author pool was a starting point for finding reviewers. Additionally the group agreed that it made sense to set up a small editorial board to manage the review process as well as to conduct a content review of the modules as a whole as well as grammar, spelling, style, etc. review of each module. Ruth agreed to set up the editorial board and to start the review process for the modules that have been completed.

October 13, 2011

Agenda

  • Review action items
  • Workshop update
  • Module status update [all]
  • Priorities for module completion

Attending

Carol, Erin, Matt, Tyler, Jeff, Ruth, Curt

Summary

This was again a very short meeting just to touch base. The most significant discussion occurred around the need to prioritize modules given the APECs webinar on responsible data use and local data management scheduled for Nov. 8. Folks who have signed up for modules in those sections should try to get them completed ASAP!

Additionally, Carol has contacted an science writer and editor who has agreed to conduct an editorial review of all of the modules (not a content review).


September 29, 2011

Agenda

  • Review action items
  • Workshop update
  • Module status update [all]
  • Module review process

September 15, 2011

Listen to meeting

Participants

Ruth Duerr, Ron Weaver, Bob Downs, Matt Mayernik, Jeff Arnfield, Erin Robinson, Carol Meyer

Agenda

  • Review action items
  • Workshop update?
  • Modules status

Summary

  • Review action items
    • Ruth - breadcrumbs on the module. Name on each slide in upper left corner is sufficient. (closed)
    • Erin - Created email for questions related to short course (closed)
    • Ruth - Drafted author guidelines. (closed)
  • Workshop update?
    • AGU status?
  • Modules status
  • Review author's guide
    • Ruth created the author's guide
      • 10 slides - does it include shell or content? ~ 7 body pages per module
      • don't want module titles and what's on the wiki to to diverge
      • In general reference - add style guide for references - AGU/AMS style guide
  • Discuss module review process
    • Review Criteria:
      • Add to author's guide what review process
      • Want to make sure the content is balanced, concise and complete
      • Conforms to author's guide
      • Reasonable ref check
      • Understandability/Simplicity - to non-expert (right level of details)
        • Undergraduate level or general college level
        • reasonably simple for non expert to understand
    • Review Process:
      • review board
      • Blind peer-review
      • Blind review within the board
      • Bob Downs volunteered to help review.
      • Each module reviewed by one other person and need a way to track that.
      • Reviewers can make changes; evolve as we go w/ questions.
      • When modules are nearly set - running them by NOAA for review.
        • NESDIS Headquarters -EDMC (Jeff DLB/Lewis)
  • Schedule - October 15 for draft
  • Stipend/Honorarium - $100 If we think we need someone to edit/vet these may be good to pay.
    • Could UIUC students review?

September 1, 2011

Listen to meeting

Agenda

August 18, 2011

Participants

Jeff Arnfield, Bob Downs, Erin Robinson, Ron Weaver, Carol Meyer, Matt Mayernik, Mark Parsons, H. K. Ramapriyan, Ruth Duerr

Agenda

  • Action item status
  • Latest update on workshops
    • AGU/AMS
    • APECS?
  • Review module assignments

Summary

  • Action item status
    • Erin provided a draft module template earlier today - it is linked from several places on the web site
    • Ruth did not get a chance to use it to draft a module yet
    • People have signed up for many but not all modules
  • Workshop status
    • Have applied for the AGU workshop; but don't expect to hear back about it until September
    • AMS - we've been scheduled for Sunday morning (Jan. 22)
    • APECS - The Association of Polar Early Career Scientists might be interested in data management training - perhaps a workshop at the final IPY conference in Montreal in April?
  • Review modules assignments
    • Spent some time reviewing the modules that currently no-one has signed up for. There was considerable discussion of the module template and general agreement that we need to see it in use to determine how well it is going to work out. It was suggested that the modules need a number or identifier

New Action Items

  • Mark Parsons - to work with the APECS group on whether or not they would be interested in data management training.
  • Erin - update template to include attribution information
  • Erin - to investigate unique identifiers for modules (EZID) and get that set up
  • Erin and Carol - generate a draft of one of the modules they've signed up for
  • Mark Parsons - review list of modules and determine which he could sign up for
  • Ruth - work with preservation cluster to find more module authors

August 4, 2011

Participants

Jeff Arnfield, Bob Cook, Ron Weaver, Tyler Stevens, Ruth Duerr, Erin Robinson

Agenda

  • Action item status
  • Latest update on AGU/AMS workshops
  • Review new data management training section

Summary

Group reviewed the action items from last month's call. Modules were clarified as a single line on the outline is a module. Modules are 3-7 minutes, include introduction/top level of the topic, not all details right away. Each module should also include 'why you should care' with both carrots and sticks. Template should also include a section for 'see also'. While on the call the team started to sign up for modules. We already have content for case for data stewardship, most of the data managent plans and some from Ruth's course at UIUC. Need local data management contributions. Note that there was an addition to the outline to include scientist as data users not just data producers. Team will start vetting/review process.

Action Items

  • Carol/Erin to draft module template
  • Ruth to create first module example
  • Next meeting in 2 weeks.

July 12, 2011 - webex will be available for those not attending in person

Participants

Ruth Duerr, Ron Weaver, Bob Downs, Rahul Ramachandran, Carol Meyer, Jeff Arnfield, Glenn Rutledge, Jerry Pan, Manil Maskey, Bob Rank, Eugene ???, Tim (Please add your name here)

Agenda

  • Present Charter
  • Review and finalize "for scientists" draft course outline
  • Glossary of Data Management Terms
  • Review high level plan for AGU/AMS workshops
  • Begin workshop preparations
    • Select modules for workshop
    • Define module form and content

Summary

Given technical difficulties with the network (or lack thereof) the meeting started quite late and I know a number of people attempted to join but gave up before we were actually able to get going. Despite the problems a good review of the course outline was held and a number of changes were made in real-time. Additionally, we agreed that the Local Data Management section needed to be reorganized with fewer top level items.

We agreed that every line in the course outline would be considered a module. Modules will initially consist of roughly 5-10 slides with notes organized as follows:

  • Introduction to the objective of the module (1-2 slides)
  • Module content materials (a few slides)
  • Summary slide

We agreed that if the whole package for a module resulted in more than 10 slides, that the module is still too large and needs to be split into smaller modules. We also agreed that team members could and should pick a few modules that they are interested in developing and indicate their preference by adding their name to those lines on the wiki page. If multiple people are interested in working on the same module, that is OK. Once a module is developed they will be reviewed by other members of the team, so in general it would be good to have multiple people interested in each module. Lastly, while the modules will start off as presentation materials, the intent is to provide on-line video versions of each (probably just voice overs) so that folks who do not attend a training session still have access to and can consult the materials. These will be linked from the new ESIP Druple site.

Carol briefed the group on the process for holding workshops at AGU and AMS. As a result, we agreed to move forward with plans for two half-day workshops this winter (one at AGU, the other at AMS). The modules that will be covered during the workshop will be the modules in the "for scientists" section of the outline.

Action items

  • Team members to sign up for modules on the wiki (due in two weeks)
  • Ruth/Carol to create draft workshop abstract for team review
  • Carol/Erin to submit abstract to AGU/AMS
  • Carol/Erin to draft module template


June 9, 2011

Participants

Ruth Duerr, Erin Robinson, Carol Meyer, H. K. Ramapriyan, Ron Weaver, Anne Wilson

Agenda

Summary

Spent the bulk of the telecon reviewing and fleshing out the course outline. One thing noted during the discussion is that we badly need a glossary of terms. Ruth noted that there are a few places that already have glossaries, vocabularies, and even in some cases ontologies of data management related terms. They need to be added to the resources page.

We also discussed Bob Cook's email suggesting potential venues. After discussion the general consensus was that starting small and incrementally building towards a University course (or equivalent) seemed wise. The tentative plan is:

  • Half-day workshop at both AGU and AMS this winter (repeating the same material at AMS with tweaks as needed after AGU)
  • Build towards a 1-2 day workshop perhaps next summer
  • Eventually offer a regular full-semester course (venue, etc. TBD)

Action Items

  • Ruth - Work on adding pointers to glossaries, etc. to the resources page
  • Carol/Erin - Investigate what is needed to hold half day workshops at AGU and AMS

May 26, 2011

Participants

Mark Parsons, Nancy Hoebelheinrich, Anne Wilson, John Schaildone (sp?), Ron Weaver, Erin Robinson, Carol Meyer, H. K. Ramapriyan, Don Collins, ? Johnsen

Agenda

  • Review newly revised charter - discuss roles and responsibilities - what are team members able and willing to support?
  • Review course outline - what is missing, redundant?
  • Discuss plan for generating course content

Summary

A fair amount of time was spent discussing the updated charter, particularly the roles and responsibilities section. The consensus was that the group would continue try to work through a consensus process, but that individual members were typically more comfortable playing an advisory rather than strictly active role on the team, though most were willing to contribute to topics where they had particular expertise.

The rest of the time was spent discussing the second agenda item. The consensus was that the group felt that concentrating on training for scientists should be at least the short term focus and that by doing so, the initial round of training for new data managers would be taken care of (at a high level) at the same time. A number of changes to the course outline were made in real time and the team agreed to review and update that page before the next meeting.

May 5, 2011

Participants

Ruth Duerr, Erin Robinson, Carol Meyer, Bob Cook, Tim Owen

Agenda

  • Review revised charter. (Please read attached revised charter and be prepared to offer any final comments.)
  • Course Outline Development ( Draft Data Management Course Outline)
  • Determining Expertise of Existing Course Team & Gap Identification.

Summary

Due to the large number of comments on the charter, we barely got to a review of the course outline. Will continue the agenda during the next teleconference.

April 21, 2011

Participants

Bob Cook, Ruth Duerr, Ron Weaver, Nancy Ritchey, Don Collins, Erin Robinson, Carol Meyer, Scott Hausman, Ted Habermann

Agenda:

  1. Brief Survey of the Landscape for Data Management Training
  2. How the Team Might Proceed - see Charter (attached)
    1. Review and Discussion
    2. Identification of Outputs
    3. Next Steps/Meetings
  3. Other Business

Summary

Surveying the Landscape

  1. Library schools are training librarians in digital data curation (Ruth Duerr)
    1. UNC & UIUC and a few other LIS programs have data curation as part of their curricula - typically you must be a student to attend the classes; UIUC's are on-line
    2. Many schools have data management resources available on-line
  2. Received Research Data Workforce Summit summary report (Chicago Dec. 2010) – co-convened by DataONE, UIUC – Identified a need for data curators, data archivists, data scientists (Don Collins)
  3. Best practices at ORNL DAAC online training (Bob Cook)
  4. DataONE doing several things on training (Bob Cook)
    1. ESA workshop (3 hours), well attended in summer 2010 & again in 2011 (2nd week of August)
    2. Bill Michener doing several things
    3. SEEK project (materials online)
    4. UNM offering short course on data management, for credit (taught by a variety of people)
      1. General data management principles
      2. Visualization & work flow
      3. GIS
    5. Updating last summer’s workshop
    6. Education working group within DataONE putting together a presentation on the data life cycle

There are some University courses and text/web-based materials in existence. What else would be use, and of interest to the broader community?

Charter Document

  1. How can ESIP bring together pieces, organize some of the efforts to do some core training that is needed. Need to be aware of other activities going on but also should serve the niche that comprises ESIP. ESIP can/should coordinate with these other efforts, draw from those communities to deliver something of benefit to the ESIP community.
  2. Need the working group to look it over, mark it up by the next meeting (tbd) and use is as a roadmap for moving forward.
  3. Approach? – modular content creation is the strength of this working group
    1. Delivery mechanisms TBD
    2. Content creation and delivery are independent of one another
    3. Outlying issues: Professional Certification, Keeping Material Current (capture this in charter)
    4. Carol & Erin to provide list of delivery options
    5. Develop Drupal site space & training for WG
      1. keep the development site open
    6. Consider using ESIP Education assets to advise on curriculum (Ruth Duerr might know of someone from UIUC)
      1. invite ESIP Education Committee folks to next telecon
  4. Timetable
    1. How often should this group get together, bi-weekly? weekly? – Biweekly, 12 noon Eastern, Thursday
    2. Use ESIP meeting as endpoint for having a content outline by July
    3. Post-July – filling in the details (reuse, generation)
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox