2019 EnviroSensing Plan
ESIP Collaboration Area Strategic Plan 2019
- Co-Chair (s): Scotty Strachan, Renée F. Brown
- Website (wiki): 
- Monthly Meeting Day/Time: 1st Tuesday of each month, 2pm PT / 5pm ET
To be a leader in promoting the collection, stewardship and use of Earth science data, information and knowledge that are responsive to societal needs.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- Increase the use and value of Earth science data and information.
- Strengthen the ties between observations and user communities (e.g. technologies, research, education and applications).
- Promote techniques to articulate and measure the socioeconomic value and benefit of Earth science data, information, and applications.
- Position ESIP to play a major role in Earth science issues (e.g. addressing effects of climate change mitigation, adaptation and supporting sustainable science data infrastructure).
Collaboration Area Plan
Collaboration Area Objective:
The ESIP EnviroSensing Cluster was organized around the need to: A) create resource guides to assist environmental research efforts in developing deployment strategies for real-time sensor networks; and B) further the development of best practices for sensor network data quality. Sensor networks are commonly deployed at environmental research locations and require management of subsequent large volumes of near real-time data. A working group of practitioners experienced in the entire life cycle of streaming sensor data (sensor network establishment, data transmission, data storage, quality control and assurance, and data access) has developed a best practices guide for managing sensor networks and data. The ESIP EnviroSensing Cluster welcomes community additions and updates to the best practices guide and actively involves the broader community in ongoing forums. We are an open, inclusive, and collaborative community that seeks to better science and engineering related to observations in the natural environment.
Things we may do to fulfill our objectives:
- Monthly EnviroSensing Cluster meetings
- Guest presenter solicitation to bring in outside views
- Promotion/citation of the Best Practices for Sensor Networks and Data wiki documents
- Collaboration on ESIP Lab pilots, full proposal development for sensor data management projects
- Cluster outreach/guest presenting to other national & international science data organizations
- Session(s) and poster at the the ESIP Summer Meeting
Things our collaboration area needs to deliver our objectives?
(e.g. Partnerships, in-kind support, staff support)
- ESIP Student Fellow to help with meeting recording/facilitation, monthly email, and website/wiki updates
- Partial support for early-career Cluster leadership to attend ESIP Summer meetings (if co-Chair is student or post-doc)
- Online web call tool (e.g., Zoom or GoToMeeting)
- Email list server
How will we know we are on the right track?
- Feedback from Cluster members
- Participation in monthly meetings
- Successful pilot collaborations between Cluster participants
- Positive promotion, citations, and feedback from external communities
How will others know what we are doing in & out of ESIP?
- Continued presence at the ESIP Summer Meeting
- Posts to the Cluster email listserv
- Promotion of Cluster activities on Social Media (e.g., Twitter #EnviroSensing)
- Presentations to outside organizations regarding Cluster projects, material, and objectives
Cross-collaboration area connections
- Drone Cluster
- Information Quality Cluster