ESIP Collaboration Area Strategic Plan 2016
- Co-Chair (s): Soren Scott
- Website (wiki): http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Products_and_Services
- Monthly Meeting Day/Time: 3rd Tuesday of the month, 2PM EST
To be a leader in promoting the collection, stewardship and use of Earth science data, information and knowledge that are responsive to societal needs.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan Goals
- Increase the use and value of Earth science data and information.
- Strengthen the ties between observations and user communities (e.g. technologies, research, education and applications).
- Promote techniques to articulate and measure the socioeconomic value and benefit of Earth science data, information, and applications.
- Position ESIP to play a major role in Earth science issues (e.g. addressing effects of climate change mitigation, adaptation and supporting sustainable science data infrastructure).
Collaboration Area Plan
Collaboration Area Objective:
Continue to support ESIP through standing P&S activities and continue to work with the larger ESIP community to develop a broader technology evaluation framework.
Things we may do to fulfill our objectives:
- Initiate a P&S working group to provide focus to ESIP's ongoing evaluation efforts across collaboration areas and current P&S testbed projects, with a focus on developing an ESIP Evaluation Framework
- Lead the development of ESIP software quality guidelines and explore alternative means of collaborative work within ESIP
- Continue to support annual P&S activities (FUNding Friday, twice-yearly Testbed RFPs) and the NASA AIST evaluation efforts
Things our collaboration area needs to deliver our objectives?
(e.g. Partnerships, in-kind support, staff support)
- Staff support (continued) for future AIST evaluation efforts and similar support for testbed evaluation efforts
How will we know we are on the right track?
- We will monitor and report the progress made on software guidelines and other testbed activities during the monthly telecons
How will others know what we are doing in & out of ESIP?
- We are piloting a rotating co-chair position to encourage more interaction between P&S and other collaboration areas
- We hope to collaborate with Software/Data Carpentry to develop activities and recommendations, based on the revised software guidelines, to expand the educational offerings and mentorship in both organizations
- We will continue to work with 2016 ESDSWG participants within ESIP to share experiences and information regarding various technology evaluation efforts, especially around readiness levels and reuse
- We will revise the wiki and expand the testbed.esipfed.org site to highlight funded member activities in the testbed and the testbed itself
Cross-collaboration area connections
(Identify other areas that you consider cross collaboration. Are there things that you need us to provide in support the cross collaboration?)
- Work with Semantic Technologies to develop Testbed integration plans (readiness and reuse from P&S to SemTech)
- Work with SemTech, Data Stewardship and Information Quality on various aspects of technology evaluation
- Work with Science Software and other interested ESIPs to develop ESIP software quality guidelines